Diamond Comics is an integral component for any young child and early teenagers’ reading list, and often even adults reminisce about these popular characters, Chacha Chaudhary, Saboo, Bini Chachi, Rocket and Pinki, amongst others. And, for these avid readers of this comic series, Bradford License India and Diamond Comics Group along with Loyal Software, have entered into a tie up for licensing these popular cartoon characters. Engaging core readers The popularity of Chacha Chaudhary is rather wide in this country and to leverage this huge reader base, the licensers are planning a wide range of merchandise products. Also, while children in large metro towns have several reading and allied entertainment options, but it is not the case in smaller towns across the country. As a result, marketers do not visualise any problems relating to off take of licensed products for this comic series. Gulshan Rai, Managing Director, Diamond Comics, said, “Our readers are across the length and breadth of the country, especially in tier-II and III towns.” Striking a similar note, Michelle Minieri, President of Bradford License India, said, “We aim at leveraging these popular characters via international collaborations, hybrid licensing efforts, creation of TV enabled software, mobile and internet applications, coupled with a comprehensive retail strategy.” Licensing strategy The initial focus of the licensing plan will include apparel, mugs, accessories, gifts and novelties, and FMCG products. It does not end there and given the popularity of various characters, the licensing strategy would also include finger puppets and plans are also being made for tie ups with corporate brands. The merchandise on offer will be sold through online sites including inkfruit, and popular multi-brand retail outlets and allied sales channels. Digitally Yours Apart from various licensing plans, a partnership with Loyal Software has also been entered into and these comics will also be available on Android and iOS platform, given the popularity of this medium with younger readers. Current tie ups
- Mugs - www.oinkstore.in
- T shirts - www.Greenfactory.co.in and inkfruit by Zovi
- Promotional Products - www.dinkeez.com
Chacha Chaudhary, a quick recap
- Created in 1971 by Pran, and highlights latest societal issues with wisdom and wit
- All characters belong to middle class and well connected with readers
- A television series has also been made
- Comic circulation is nearly 3 lakh and 1 lakh digital downloads every month
Comics Market in India
- Indigenous comic industry is currently valued at nearly Rs 1,500 crore per annum, while the animation and live movie industry is worth around Rs 3,000 crore and growing at 30 per cent.
- Total publication of 125million copies a year, including regional and foreign characters
- E-omics and m-comics segments are still nascent# Industry has evolved from adaptations of Ramayana and Mahabharata in 1960’s,to educational comics for children, caricatures in print media nd adaptations of American super heroes.
- Foreign players like Virginomics (led by Virgin Groupand Gotham Comics), Disney, Japan-based Manga & Anime, and Marvel Comics have entered local markets.